Capturing everything in the field can be a daunting task. But there are some basic tips that will help make the process smoother:
- Write notes as soon as possible to avoid information being lost.
- Capture major themes and broad ideas within 24 hours and share them with your team.
- Write down all personal details about the setting (number of people, location, use of space, gender dynamics, product use, etc.).
- Note direct quotes as well as your impressions.
- Note moments that produced changes in the context of discussion.
- A change in story setting, topic or temporal shift.
- Note moments that produced emotional responses.
- Note or draw expressions, body language, and non-verbal communication.
Remember, the camcorder is only one of the tools you bring to the field. Field guides, notebooks, sketchpads and cameras are all part of the toolkit, but more importantly, so are you.