I recently heard someone talking about the difference between art and science. While I have no intention of dragging out that tired debate (it’s been done to death), I thought that the lines between the two, based on the description given, were more blurred than this person thought.
- Science is about fact (until it’s no longer a fact, at which point it is often relegated to humor, unfortunately).
- Art is about arguing meanings, feelings, and contesting views.
- Science is about understanding the world, what’s in it, what’s beyond it.
- Art is about searching within, expanding the world, and determining perceptions.
- Science is about reason and development.
- Art is about reason and development.
- Science is creative.
- Art is creative.
The debate seems rather pointless. It isn’t about finding truth, it’s about finding a truth to fit a personal need to make sense of the world. To validate and justify the self. Perhaps the point.